Matt Hunter and some friends are bringing a top notch bike camp here this summer (July 2-6, more about that later!), so we thought it'd be fun to get know Matt a little more. I sat down with Hunter and asked some of the questions we came up with in the office. Here were his answers!
19 Questions with Matt Hunter
- How many years have you been riding a bike for?
I'm 28 and I started when I was three so I guess that's 25 years!
- First full suspension bike you ever owned and what year?
It was a Schwinn rocket 88. Can't remember the year, maybe '99? It didn't last long! I mostly rode hard tails back then.
- Favorite trail?
That's a secret.
- Your favourite thing to do right after a great ride?
Swim in cold water
- Who are your favourite people to ride with?
My crew from the Loops called "The IMH". This is an acronym of a name given to us by an angry senior citizen, see if you can figure it out.
- What is your most memorable trip with your bike? (please briefly describe)
Iceland. It was like riding on another planet, with crazy different colours of dirt and the ground steaming and boiling. I went there with Mitchell, Sterling, Andrew and Joe and we laughed the whole time. After we left, one of the mountains we rode blew up, it was a volcano!!!
- If you could only have one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Moose steak and garden potatoes.
- What is your favourite bike tire ever?
Specialized Butcher 2.3
- DH or XC which do you do more of?
I think it's about 50/50 these days, although for time in the saddle, XC wins. In the summer when the bike parks open, it will be DH.
- Where is the one place you desperately want to go ride your bike the most?
I want to go back to Peru, that place has some crazy trails.
- What riders impress you the most and why?
I like watching World Cup DH racers ride when they are not racing.
- If the world got taken over by Zombies, what is going to be your best defense to ensure your safety?
Maybe we can trick the zombies into riding some old trail with rotten skinnies and ladder bridges that should take care of them.
- When you’re not on your bike what would you most likely be doing?
It really depends on the season. Seasons are the best part about living where we do!
- What has been your worst (or silliest) injury while biking?
I broke my ankle jumping off a ladder bridge without my bike once that was really dumb.
- What is the best way to get your bike to the top of a mountain, pedal, hike, drive, chairlift, helicopter or other?
Any means necessary! But the reward is sweeter when you have paid for it.
- What’s your favourite trail or feature at Silver Star Bike Park?
There are magical corners on almost every trail, some of the best turns ever live on Silver Star thanks to the bike park crew.
- Who is the one person in the world you’d like most to sit down and have a beer with?
Robert Nesta Marley. But he's not alive so I think it would have to be Neil Young.
- How many bikes do you go through in a year?
Broken bikes? Zero; I do get to ride a lot of different bikes though.
- What are you doing/training to get ready for the coming summer?
Riding lots, skiing lots, a bit of time in the gym when I'm not doing either of these.
Keep an eye out for more information on Matt Hunter's camp coming out soon!!!